Wednesday 23 January 2008

T is for Travel

I am a slightly seasoned traveller! I've had some great holidays in a few different countries.
I've been to Cyprus which is a lovely country with really friendly locals but you have to put your toilet paper in a bin, no flushing it down the toilet. YUCKIE is an understatement for that little gem of information! So, much as I loved the place and the people, I will never go there again.
Turkey is another great place. The people there are even friendlier than in Cyprus. It is quite under developed, though so there are very few proper roads or pavements, just tracks. And you soon get fed up of being hassled to visit every bar and restaurant and not being able to just browse in a shop without being talked into buying something. I wouldn't go there again, either, especially after the middle of June because the heat is just unbearable too.
Spain is lovely. They know how to treat tourists, they're used to us. They are polite rather than friendly and they leave you alone in shops etc. The weather is always just right for soaking up the sun without being to oppressive.I have visited several different areas, all of which I really did enjoy.
But the place I have enjoyed the most is America. I went there in the late 80's for a month. We stayed in Wyoming, Utah, Kansas and Ohio. We travelled by Greyhound Coach which I would NOT recommend to anybody! I saw some absolutely wonderful sights including Salt Lake Temple, Nauvoo and the Joseph Smith Pageant held in Richmond, Ohio every year. I climbed a small (!) mountain in the Titons, visited a rodeo and a baseball game, looked out over the Grand Canyon, slept in a log cabin in Yellowstone Park and ate S'Mores toasted over a camp fire. It was a holiday of a lifetime and I will never forget how wonderful the country and it's people were. I'd love to go back again someday.
We're planning to visit Rome this year so I'll have another country under the belt.
And the place I've never been but have always wanted to is Hawaii. Maybe, one day!

No comments: