Sunday 9 September 2007

J is for Jamie

Jamie is my youngest son. As I've explained in an older post, he is Special Needs. He was born 9 weeks early, weighing just over 2lbs. He came home at 4 months old and just never progressed. By the time he was 10 months old I knew there was something wrong. He wasn't rolling over, sitting up, trying to crawl or reacting to people. I managed to get him into an assessment program where they decided he was Special Needs but didn't know what was actually wrong with him. At 18 months he was seen by a genetisist and I think the Lord was with me that day. The doctor we saw had written his thesis on Dubowitz Syndrome so knew as soon as we walked in the room what was wrong with Jamie. I was given some information on it but there wasn't much known about it really. Unfortunately, Jamie has it in it's most severe form so his outlook wasn't good. It was probable he wouldn't walk, talk or look after himself.
However, owing to great perserverance and excellent Special Needs schooling, Jamie walked at three years, began to form words at five years, feed himself at six years, toilet himself at 10 years.
He is still very far from being able to look after himself and will never actually be able to live independantly but he has made great strides in his life. Every new skill he learns is a great achievement. He will always have the mental ability of a five/six year old but that doesn't matter to us. He is a happy, sociable boy who loves being around people. He loves going to church, to parties, to the theatre and restaurants. His great love is music, especially the guitar. He has never been able to learn to play but he strums his guitar and sings his songs in his own special way.
As Mormons, we believe that people like Jamie are valiant, perfect spirits who have no need to be tested like the rest of us. They will go straight back to God's presence and live with him. So it is one of the greatest blessings to have the chance to nurture them in our families.
I consider it an honour to have Jamie in my life. He is my precious treasure who teaches me many things, like patience and the joy simple things bring in life. I love him just the way he is and would never change my special boy.

No comments: