Sunday 7 September 2008

Back to School

Jamie went back to school this week. Or rather, he went to college. My baby is college boy! I really don't know where the time has gone. It seems like only yesterday I was a mother of four young boys struggling with all the trials family life brings and now I'm a grandmother with all my boys grown and flown away. Jamie is growing up and although he will always be with us, he is no longer as needy as he was.
I feel like my role as a mother has depleted, somehow. I do enjoy having the house to ourselves but I do also miss the chaos, a little. I understand the empty nest syndrome now. It's the feeling that you're not needed any more, that you're obselete, surplus to requirements.
But then my grandchildren come running in, shouting for grandma, and my heart fills up again. I realise that you never stop being needed because the next generation always fills the gap. My grandchildren give me wings again. I may not be able to fly as high or as fast but there is still some mileage left in me.

No comments: