Thursday 25 October 2007

N is for Nostalgia

I found my journal last week. I started keeping a journal when I was about 17 and stopped just before my second son was born.
As I was reading it I went through a variety of emotions, cringeing at the flowery, over romantic writing for one thing! I laughed at some pages, felt sadness at others and relived my joy at others. I'm about half way through reading it and am remembering some wonderful moments from my life.
Like the day my first son was born. The emotion is so raw on the page, I poured my heart out over the joy of his birth but the fear he wouldn't survive. He was born 9 weeks prem and suffered several complications before he actually came home to live with us. To relive those days was a humbling experience because I relied so heavily on my prayers and the blessings given by some wonderful priesthood members who are no longer with us.
Then there are the fun times, the times I had with my friends and the many boys I dated! I got to relive those times with people who are no longer in my life.
It got me thinking how important our past is, how it shapes our future and makes us who we are. To dwell on it would be wrong but to have a visit back there once in awhile refreshes our spirit.

No comments: